|Holocaust Museum Houston
established the Guardian of the Human Spirit award in 1997 as a platform
for acknowledging dedicated Houstonians who have worked to enhance the
lives of others and to better humankind
Holocaust Survivor Edith Mincberg accepts the 2014 Guardian of the Human Spirit Award on behalf
of herself and her late husband, Josef Mincberg.
Proceeds from our annual luncheon presentation of this award are used to continue the Museum's worldwide educational programming and its policy of free admission to the general public seven days a week so that there is never a financial barrier to anyone interested in learning the lessons of the Holocaust. Last year’s event drew almost 700 attendees.
The 2014 recipients were Holocaust survivor Edith Mincberg and her late husband Josef. Civil rights attorney Alan Dershowitz gave the keynote address.
- 2013 Murry Bowden and William J. "Bill" Morgan
- 2012 The Harry Mach Family
- 2011 Kipp Founders Mike Feinberg and Dave Levin
- 2010 Mayor Annise Parker
- 2009 Barbara and Gerald Hines
- 2008 Marc J. Shapiro
- 2007 Lester and Sue Smith
- 2006 Sandra Weiner and Martin Fein
- 2005 Naomi Warren and Fred Zeidman
- 2004 Joan and Stanford Alexander
- 2003 Ed Wulfe and H-E-B
- 2002 Jack Blanton and The Houston Chronicle
- 2000 Linda P. Lay and Siegi Izakson
- 1999 The Rev. William A. Lawson and Julie and Ben Rogers
- 1997 Ron Stone