This position is a temporary position beginning April 2013 and open through August 2013. The temporary librarian is a solo position and manages all aspects of an 8,500-item library, including cataloging, circulation, technical services, reference functions. The librarian also maintains and organizes the oral testimony collection.
This position works closely with volunteers and other Museum staff to implement programs that serve the membership and the institution's mission guided by its long-range plan.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Catalogs library material (both copy and original cataloging);
- Provides reference services via telephone, e-mail, fax and in person;
- Processes library material;
- Assists library users in accessing print or electronic resources;
- Shelves/retrieves library materials;
- Manages overdue notices, lost/damaged materials, and fines to library users; and
- Supervises and trains volunteers and interns.
Oral History Program
- Maintains records;
- Oversees transcription practices and procedures; and
- Using the library catalog, catalogs testimonies according to best practices and standards.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, including the ability to present information in a variety of formats;
- Ability to keep track of the overall picture while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail in a variety of situations;
- Ability to perform under pressure and work with tight deadlines;
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment;
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills; and
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge of Surpass library software;
- Previous work experience in a special library; and
- Background in Holocaust history and reading knowledge of German, Hebrew or French.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master's degree in library and information studies or related degree from an ALA-accredited institution; and
- Two years experience in a library setting.
Reports to: Managing Director
Supervises: Volunteers and occasional interns
Work Schedule: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday; 10 a.m. to5 p.m. Wednesday-Friday.
Benefits: This temporary position offers no fringe benefits.
How to Apply:
Submit resume and cover letter online now or e-mail as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.